Can I use a water hose to rid gophers?
- Believe it or not, gophers are very smart animals. Their complex tunnel systems contain breathing holes to purge water before it gets to them. They have time to respond to floods and block the holes from water entering their dens, most of the time.
- Sometimes flooding gopher holes result in damage to irrigation ditches, foundations and much more.
- PLEASE NOTE: A gopher can expose underground electrical wires by chewing.
Will poison work on gophers?
- The use of poison can be effective and it can be the best option as a last resort. Gophers feed off plants. This is in their nature. When a gopher smells a foreign food, chances are they will not eat it. We know this because; having 30 years of experience we have tried almost every way to rid gophers!
- Please be cautious utilizing poisons if you choose to. They may remain in the soil for a long period of time, or get pushed out by the gopher.
How well does gas, propane and other types of gaseous products work?
- Interestingly, when a gopher smells a chemical threat they are fast to block the hole so they do not get hurt! Yet again, they have breathing holes to purge such gas. This method can be effective but also damages landscape in the process. Again, we know this because 30 years of experience exterminating gophers has proven this.
- Please be cautious utilizing gaseous products. Pressure may build and cause a fire! PLEASE NOTE: using gaseous products can be dangers because gophers can chew into electrical lines underground and that may ignite the gas.
Lots Of Mounds, And What About Traps?
If I have several mounds of dirt in the area, is each mound of dirt a gopher?
- Each mound of dirt is not a gopher. In fact, gophers are very territorial animals and will eliminate other gophers within a certain vicinity of them. Each gopher will produce several mounds of dirt!
- There is a difference between gopher mounds, mole mounds, and prairie dog mounds.
- Gophers are intelligent animals that have been avoiding predators for thousands of years!
- Trapping can be tricky! If a gopher is not fully trapped and is just pinched by the trap, the gopher will become trap smart making trapping it almost impossible! Remember, gophers learn fast and almost never repeat the same mistake twice. A trap smart gopher will lead you into a Caddyshack experience!